Mar 22, 2013

Breaking the Sugar addiction

Hello, my name is Karri, and I’m addicted to sugar.  The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem, right? Savannah has thrown my diet WAAAYYY off track.  I’m actually recognizing the pattern though, which is similar to what I experienced after the Christmas month-long indulgence.  I eat just one bad thing…then 2, then before you know it, I’m not keeping track of what I’m eating at all, and it’s all junk.  I wake up exhausted, I have a headache, and I’m just plain ol’ cranky, and I know that my diet is to blame.  It took me months to get out of my Christmas funk, and I’m not going to let that happen to me again.

I had originally made a pact to try 21 days of strict calorie counting and logging in order to form better habits, and my little trip to Savannah blew that all out of the water.  The worst part is, now that I’m home, I’m craving bad shit like it’s my job.  I want chocolate like you wouldn’t believe…this is NOT normal people! (It doesn’t help that I got my period this morning, but still!).

So here’s my plan.  I’m going to clean up my eating.  Starting Sunday (because I don’t want to set myself up for failure before going grocery shopping and meal prepping), I’m going to go on a clean eating “cleanse”.  I’m going to aim for 10 days, but with Easter falling on day 8, I’m not going to beat myself up for going only 7 days straight.

I’m going to eliminate white flour, refined/processed sugars (including corn sugars and starches), wheat products, dairy, alcohol, coffee, fried foods, etc.

I’m going to eat more vegetables, fresh fruit, healthy fats, lean meat, eggs, beans, and clean carbohydrates (like brown rice products).

Essentially, this is very similar to the 10 day cleanse that the Advocare system does, but I’m doing the diet component only, no products at all.  I’m hopeful that this will be enough to flush the cravings out of my system and jump start me onto a healthier/more balanced way of eating. 

Who’s with me!?

8 comments:

  1. I have fell back in the same rut as well one bad day of food or a few days and well all you want is soda junk and fried stuff. I have been feeling like poo all week crabby and tired and know its the food.
    I will start on Sunday since Saturday is a race and I may decide to eat out for breakfast or lunch (or both) with friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it's going well for you Shelley! This sugar detox is no joke!!

      Delete
  2. This is a great idea! Definitely sounds like a good way to get back on track :) Good luck!

    -- Emily @ runninglikeamother.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emily! I'm struggling with the "withdrawl symptoms" right now but I'll push through!

      Delete
  3. ditching the processed crap and sugar is hard but totally possible. just stay strong and you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure hope it's worth it!! I haven't felt the upswing yet but hopefully I will soon!

      Delete
  4. So glad I found your blog!!! I am in the exact place as you with needing to nix the sugar and white flour. - Ashley @ www.coffeecakeandcardio.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ashley! It's a struggle, but I'm getting there!!

      Delete

I love comments! Leave me a note and tell me what you think! :)

Recent Posts