Dec 21, 2012

Winter Wonderland

I’ve been meaning to write this post for a week now and just haven’t been able to bring myself to do it.  Last Friday, my state experienced something so unfathomably awful, it’s hard to put into words how I even feel about it.

I grew up in Connecticut, and although I live about an hour away from Newtown and I have no children of my own, I have beautiful nieces and countless family and friends who are teachers. This tragedy has hit so close to home, but I am reminded how teachers are so very important in more ways than what we learn in the classroom. I am so proud to have a teacher in my family, as my best friends, as my role models. Please show your teachers how much they mean to you today, they are suffering as if these children were their own. 

With the Holiday season here and in the wake of a national tragedy, I am asking a small favor. Connecticut PTA’s are taking part in a fundraiser for the students of Sandy Hook. They’re not asking for money, but what they’re looking for is people to make paper snowflakes.  They can be as basic or as creative as you want, they’re just asking that you don’t use words, but anything else goes.   They’re going to use the snowflakes to decorate the halls and classrooms of the schools that the children will be attending after winter break to make their new school into a “Winter Wonderland”. Whether you want to make one or a dozen, it makes all the difference….think how much this small gesture will mean to these kids when they return.   So if you have a little time during this Holiday season please take a moment (include your family and friends) and make a little something these children will need to brighten their first day back.

Make and send snowflakes to Connecticut PTSA, 60 Connolly Parkway, Building 12, Suite 103, Hamden, CT  06514, by January 12, 2013.

If you want more information, check out the PTA's website here:

 

Thank you all for your help, it means more than you can ever know.  Hug your babies and loved ones, and try to remember, this year especially, what the true meaning of Christmas is. 
 
 
Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. Such a good idea! Thanks for posting this! Does it need to be a certain type of paper?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not at all! Whatever paper you'd like, white, pink, blue, colored with crayon or glitter...it can be as plain or extravagent as you want!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is something that everyone can do. My kids and I will be making snowflakes during our winter break. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Amy, it really will mean so much to the kids!!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Leave me a note and tell me what you think! :)

Recent Posts